Thursday, August 11, 2005

Doormat by Kelly McWilliams


This book is about a girl named Jaime. Her friend, Melissa, tells her she's pregnant, but Jaime doesn't believe her. After doing a pregnancy test, they realize that she's pregnant. But the problem is, Melissa is Catholic: and can't get abortion. Melissa refuses to tell her parents and is struck with morning sickness. One day during school, Zach, who is part of the drama club, overhears them talking and offers help. So basically, this book is about a girl telling her best friend she's pregnant, and her best friend helps her. I didn't really like this book that much. I thought it was sort of "plain". It was more like one event, then another and so on. I didn't find many details. It wasn't very touching. I give it a 6 out of 10. -Jisun K.

1 comment:

Ms. B said...

Even though I agree that the plot is rather thin, there's something that I like a lot about this book. Jaime knows that she lets herself be walked on and is frustrated by it. She knows that she _should_ be mad that Melissa is so self-centered. "But I wasn't [mad]. I really, truly wasn't. I just felt kind of tired - like I'd been stepped on too many times and it was no longer worth it to complain." I think lots of girls can identify with that feeling.

BTW Do you know that Kelly McWilliams was 15 when she wrote this book? Not bad!